I never know what to do with rhubarb except bake it in a pie. I still haven't found a piecrust recipe that fits our allergies, although I have a few recipes I am waiting to try. But I had some fresh rhubarb waiting to be used and not enough time to experiment with pastry. So I decided to stew the rhubarb on the cooktop and mix in some tapioca. Mmmmmm.
As a byproduct of the cooking process, you also get a nice cup of rhubarb tea to enjoy.
- 3-4 stalks fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup small tapioca pearls
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup agave syrup + extra to sweeten tea
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- sprinkling of granola for each serving (I use Enjoy Life granola)
- Combine tapioca and 3/4 cup of water in a small bowl. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put rhubarb in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 10 more minutes, then drain water. This rhubarb water is the tea, so pour into a nice cup and sweeten with some agave syrup to taste.
- Add tapioca/water mixture to rhubarb. Stir in the coconut milk and agave syrup.
- Simmer 5-8 minutes, until tapioca is transparent.
- Stir in blueberries and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into 3-4 serving dishes and top with granola.