Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rhubarb Crisp with Rhubarb Tea


I never know what to do with rhubarb except bake it in a pie. I still haven't found a piecrust recipe that fits our allergies, although I have a few recipes I am waiting to try. But I had some fresh rhubarb waiting to be used and not enough time to experiment with pastry. So I decided to stew the rhubarb on the cooktop and mix in some tapioca. Mmmmmm.



As a byproduct of the cooking process, you also get a nice cup of rhubarb tea to enjoy.
  • 3-4 stalks fresh rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/4 cup small tapioca pearls
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup agave syrup + extra to sweeten tea
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • sprinkling of granola for each serving (I use Enjoy Life granola)
  1. Combine tapioca and 3/4 cup of water in a small bowl. Let sit 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, put rhubarb in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
  3. Simmer 10 more minutes, then drain water. This rhubarb water is the tea, so pour into a nice cup and sweeten with some agave syrup to taste.
  4. Add tapioca/water mixture to rhubarb. Stir in the coconut milk and agave syrup.
  5. Simmer 5-8 minutes, until tapioca is transparent.
  6. Stir in blueberries and simmer 1-2 minutes.
  7. Pour into 3-4 serving dishes and top with granola.

3 comments:

  1. The tea and crisp look lovely! I do have a flakey pie crust recipe that fits all of your special diet needs. I created it last fall, it will be in my new book, you'll love it! Your cookie post will be up soon! :)

    -Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I can't wait for your new book! Do you need a recipe tester? :)

    I'm also excited about the cookie recipe. I couldn't wait and have already made the coconut cashew cookies (with quinoa flakes instead of the cashews) from your book, but I have finished all of them and need a new cookie fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinoa flakes sound like a fun substitution, I would have never thought about that! I do have a few recipes left to test, I'll check and see if any of them meet all of the allergy requirements. I'll send you an email sometime soon if I have any, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete