Our whole family is sick right now. There are all sorts of viruses going around this year, so everywhere we go we see people coughing and sniffling. In an effort to boost our Vitamin C, I bought two bags of fresh oranges this week. Using my Vitamix, I've made everything from orange juice to orange sorbet. My favourite is something in between: an orange slush. It packs in the vitamins from fresh oranges and is very soothing on a sore throat. You can make it in less than 2 minutes too.
- 2 fresh oranges
- dash of agave syrup
- ice cubes
- Peel and quarter the oranges. I find it fastest to remove the peel with a knife, but feel free to quarter the orange and then use your fingers to peel off the skin. If a little white pith remains, that's ok.
- Place the oranges in the Vitamix and add a dash of agave.
- Add ice cubes until the total contents reach between 2 1/2 and 3 cups (use the measurements on the side of the Vitamix container). I use large ice cubes that my fridge makes, and this is about 6 or 7 cubes.
- Blend, starting on low and dialing up to high. Flip the high-speed switch and blend for about 20-30 seconds until all ice is crushed and your drink is smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass. If it is too thick, simply wait 10-20 seconds and it will become more liquidy.