Back when I was in university, I used to make a lot of casseroles. Tuna noodle casserole (my Grandmother's recipe!), lasagne, beefy pasta bake. Comfort food. One of our favourites was sloppy joes. I looked up my old recipe yesterday and to my surprise it needed almost no modifications to fit our allergies. It was a great blast from the past, and something we will be having again for dinner once in a while as not only was it super easy and fast to make, it was also so tasty.
This recipe makes lots, so you could serve it to some hungry teenagers, eat it for lunch the next day, or freeze some for a future meal.
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup safe ketchup
- 1 14-oz can finely diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp natural cane sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Brown ground bison in a large frying pan. Drain if there is excess fat.
- Add onion, celery, red pepper and oregano. Fry on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan. Heat to bubbling then reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve over toasted allergen-free bread. Add a salad to round out your meal.