Saturday, October 10, 2009

No Apology Pumpkin Pie


I am so excited for Thanksgiving this year! My dish to contribute to the feast is "a pumpkin dessert". I started by checking my family's traditional pumpkin pie recipe -- how many eggs can I replace with egg-replacer? -- what gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free crust recipe should I use? Then I decided to check my safe recipe file of thousands of collected recipes that fit with our allergies. There were several options, but none seemed like they would fill my craving for my family's recipe. So I searched through the recipes of my blogging friends -- jackpot!! I should have known to look there first.

I only recently discovered Karina's Kitchen, and have tried a few of her yummy dishes already. But this recipe looked too good to be true. Ok, here's the secret: there is no crust on the pie. How is that possible? I figured this needed some investigating, so I made a practice pie prior to the Thanksgiving event. I have done a lot of sampling since then... and yes, there really is no crust and it WORKS! More than works -- I love it! No need to make excuses for your allergen-free concoction. This is a real pie and it is delicious.

I've made a few modifications to Karina's recipe, some for our allergy requirements, others to more closely resemble the seasonings in our family's traditional pumpkin pie recipe.
  • 1 14 oz can pumpkin
  • 1 14 oz can coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1 Tbsp Ener-G egg replacer powder
  • 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly oil a 9" glass pie plate.
  3. Add all ingredients to food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice.
  4. Pour blended ingredients into pie plate.
  5. Bake for about 1 hour, until done and the center is not wet. Mine took an hour and five minutes. Cool thoroughly, then refrigerate until time to serve.
I made the first pie without allspice and ginger and my toddler was able to eat it. Little Man's first pie! He helped to make it (ie. he insisted I hold him the whole time so he could see what I was doing), learned to say "pie" and agrees that it is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment