Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pina Colada Ice Cream


Summer appears to be coming to an end here. You can feel that fall crispness in the air already. So before the summer warmth is gone completely, I need to post my favourite hot weather recipe -- pina colada ice cream! (And who am I kidding? I'm going to be making this all winter long!) If you like pina coladas... and getting caught in the rain... (sing along!)

This is the most simple recipe for ice cream ever, but it has such rich flavours and textures. I don't even advertise it as non-dairy anymore, and it gets rave reviews from people who don't require allergy-friendly food. Since pina coladas contain coconut, no one questions why the ice cream is "coconutty".
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 20 oz can pineapple tidbits (including the juice)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup agave syrup
  1. Refrigerate cans of coconut milk and pineapple for at least 2 hours (I keep a can of each in my fridge for an emergency pina colada ice cream fix).
  2. Mix coconut milk, pineapple with juice, sugar and agave in a blender at high speed until liquefied.
  3. Transfer to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. (I process mine for 25-30 minutes).
  4. Pour into a freezer-proof container. At this stage I usually scrape pineapple pulp off of the beater and discard it. This is not a necessary step, but it makes a smoother ice cream.
  5. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
If you have only pineapple rings or chunks, that would work too. You would probably need to include the step where you remove the pineapple pulp from the ice cream maker's beater. One time I only had a 14 oz can of pineapple on hand, so I included some fresh pineapple chunks and juice. It was so delicious, but definitely left more pulp on the beater.

2 comments:

  1. These blogs and articles are fully good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Just found my way here and I have to say that I love your design/foodpic mashup! I´ll return for mor for sure.
    vodka ice cream
    ice cream vodka

    ReplyDelete