Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apple Rhubarb Blackberry Crisp


Something I have missed with our oat restriction is a fruit crisp.  It is such a comforting homey dessert.  Now that it is autumn, I went looking for a crisp topping that would work with our allergies.  And WOW, this is one great crisp!  I didn't feel deprived of oats at all in this recipe.  It is feel-good food.



I adapted the recipe from one at Allergic Adventures, a lovely blog that has recipes free of allergens similar to our own.  The crisp can be served warm from the oven, or cold from the fridge.  It makes a delicious breakfast as well as a dessert.

Filling:
  • 2 apples, sliced
  • 2 cups rhubarb, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • 1/4 cup natural cane sugar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp minute tapioca (mini tapioca pearls)
Topping:
  • 3/4 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chilled coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Mix filling ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and scoop into a deep-dish pie plate.  Bake for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, assemble topping by mixing together the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, sea salt and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.  Use a pastry blender/cutter to cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until the oil is in pea-sized chunks.  Add boiling water and stir just until combined.
  4. Remove the pie plate from the oven.  Using a tablespoon, scoop balls of topping onto the fruit.  Try and cover as much of the surface as you can.
  5. Return to the oven for 25 more minutes.
This post is my entry for The October 2010 "Scared Silly" Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free event -- hosted by Diana at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang.  The "scary" ingredient is rhubarb due to its poisonous leaves.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this recipe worked for you, with some modifications. I love it because it's simple and tastes delicious! Thanks for the great link back to my blog, I appreciate it! I'll definitely be looking through your recipes, your blog is great! I also have a delicious chocolate cake recipe I think will work for your little guy that I hope to post in the next couple days. It's a great treat to use for cupcakes for Halloween! Thanks again, Brea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! It's on my list to try next. Happy to see you're posting again!

    ReplyDelete