These snack bars are very addictive. Consider yourself warned!
The Little Man goes crazy over these, and who can blame him? He's the one that came up with the name "crispies". They are definitely one of his favourite foods. But I have to confess that I eat just as many (ok, probably more) than he does. I think they are an excellent breakfast treat to add protein to your morning, and a perfect 4 o'clock tide-me-over-until-dinner snack too. And they are SO easy. You don't even need to grease the pan.
- 3/4 cup Sunbutter
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp Agar flakes
- 1 283g box Perky's Crunchy Rice cereal (made by Enjoy Life)
- Mix Sunbutter, syrup and Agar flakes together in a large pot (large enough to hold a box of cereal) over medium heat. Stir frequently until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove pan from heat and add cereal. Stir to combine well.
- Press mixture into 9x9 glass dish, making sure to smooth the top (a plastic rice paddle works really well).
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours to set (2 is better but I usually can't wait). Use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
- ** optionally, drizzle melted chocolate over the top