Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream


A couple of months ago I decided I needed an ice cream maker. Not "wanted"... neeeeded. After perusing the different options, I decided to purchase the ice cream maker attachment kit for my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Being summer, one would think this would be easy to find. But no! In our town there was not a single place that stocked this item. Thus began an ice cream maker journey that involved online shopping, shipping to friends-of-friends in another country, my parents meeting up with those friends while both parties were on vacation, and their efforts to cram it in the car to drive it home.

This story is told to highlight just how special this ice cream is. Aside from the fact that I didn't think I could eat ice cream again. After all, I can't eat cream... not even soy cream. And now I don't need to, because this ice cream is spectacular without it!

This recipe is inspired by one in the new cookbook Lick It!: Creamy, Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love. It is the first ice cream I've made that doesn't taste like the coconut milk that it contains. I am excited to try many more of the recipes from this book.
  • 1 14oz can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
  • 1/2 cup agave or granulated sugar (I used 1/4 cup of each)
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cherries
  • 1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
  1. Put first 4 ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
  3. Freeze in ice cream maker following the directions for your machine (I processed mine for 25 minutes).
  4. Add cherries and chocolate chips and process a further 5 minutes.
  5. Transfer ice cream to freezer-proof container and freeze 4 hours or more to obtain a hard ice cream consistency.

2 comments:

  1. That ice cream looks amazing - chocolate and cherries - you just can't go wrong with those two! Nice photo too. -Ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It tastes as good as it looks. :)

    ReplyDelete