Friday, April 10, 2009

Asparagus Leek Risotto

I recently checked The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook out of the library and I have been very pleased with the first two recipes I have made from it. The first recipe was Cherry Dijon Pork Chops (page 106). I didn't have cherry jam on hand, so I made my version with blackberry jam instead -- yum! Probably the best pork chops I have ever made -- tender, juicy and flavourful.

The second recipe we ate tonight -- Asparagus Leek Risotto (page 84). It was the first recipe I had read in the book, and it was all I could do to restrain myself from running to the store to purchase the ingredients. I'm not even a fan of rice, and I've never made a risotto before. But the ingredients are some of my favourites: asparagus, leeks, fresh basil -- what's not to love? I made a few adaptations as my stomach is not a fan of shallots. The results? Delicious!


The onions and leeks dissolved into a creamy sauce that even had a hint of cheese flavour (at least in my imagination). This recipe didn't feel like I was being deprived of anything or as if I were eating an allergy-altered recipe. The picture doesn't do it justice as I was so excited to eat it that I snapped the fastest photo I could get.

Of course I didn't read the part about stirring constantly for 40 minutes until I had poured the rice in the pan. This recipe has the added benefit of a good arm workout in addition to the winning taste.

Here's my adaptation of the recipe (serves 2):
  • 4 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth for a vegan meal)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/3 cup onion
  • 3 leeks, chopped
  • 1 1/3 cups Arborio rice
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 1/3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 2/3 cup fresh basil, chopped coarsely
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  1. Simmer broth in pan #1.
  2. In pan #2, cook onion and garlic in olive oil, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add leeks to pan #2, cooking until wilted, about 4-5 minutes.
  4. Add rice to pan #2, stirring until coated in oil. Add wine and stir until absorbed.
  5. For 20 minutes, add one ladle of broth to pan #2 at a time, stirring constantly until completely absorbed.
  6. Add asparagus and two ladles of broth to pan #2, stirring until absorbed.
  7. Continue adding broth one ladle at a time until broth is used up (approximately 10 - 15 minutes), stirring constantly.
  8. Remove from heat, stir in basil, salt and pepper, and a small drizzle of olive oil.
  9. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment