Lemon pie is definitely something I thought I wouldn't be seeing again soon due to our egg allergy. After all, the main ingredient in lemon pie filling is egg yolk. Fortunately for me, my Mother-in-Law saw the recipe for lemon pie filling on the Ener-G site and decided to give it a whirl. Here's how she made it:
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp safflower oil (or coconut oil)
- Mix coconut with oil until coconut is thoroughly coated.
- Press firmly into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 325 F for 10-15 minutes (until coconut starts to brown).
- 1/4 cup Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- Mix egg replacer with sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler until well blended.
- Add water, lemon juice and lemon rind and set over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until smooth and thick.
- Remove from heat, but continue stirring for 5 minutes to cool mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Cool thoroughly then refrigerate at least 2 hours.