Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lemon Coconut Pie


Lemon pie is definitely something I thought I wouldn't be seeing again soon due to our egg allergy. After all, the main ingredient in lemon pie filling is egg yolk. Fortunately for me, my Mother-in-Law saw the recipe for lemon pie filling on the Ener-G site and decided to give it a whirl. Here's how she made it:

Coconut crust:
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
  • 3 Tbsp safflower oil (or coconut oil)
  1. Mix coconut with oil until coconut is thoroughly coated.
  2. Press firmly into a 9 inch pie plate.
  3. Bake at 325 F for 10-15 minutes (until coconut starts to brown).
Lemon Filling (from the Ener-G site):
  • 1/4 cup Ener-G Egg Replacer
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp grated lemon rind
  1. Mix egg replacer with sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler until well blended.
  2. Add water, lemon juice and lemon rind and set over medium heat.
  3. Stir constantly until smooth and thick.
  4. Remove from heat, but continue stirring for 5 minutes to cool mixture.
  5. Pour into pie shell. Cool thoroughly then refrigerate at least 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! Coconut is one of the foods I have avoided for no reason with my son...actually, I'm pretty sure he's had coconut oil with no reaction. How did it taste? I'm starting to envision some very sweet second year birthday concoctions involving coconut, chocolate (have tried the enjoy life brand chips a tiny bit), sunbutter, and/or marshmallow. I'm so glad you stopped by our blog. Wish we were close enough for a playdate!! You win the we-have-it-worst award because you have to avoid soy, but otherwise we are really similar! We're still nursing too (I'm starting to get the not so subtle impression from his doctors that they think it's time to wean, but of course it's not up to them). You're a great mom for limiting your diet for him. I know how hard it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super delicious! It was a lot of coconut for the amount of filling, but considering it's the first pie I've been able to eat in a while I didn't care. I haven't tried giving coconut to my son directly, but coconut milk is on my list of near-future trials. I have a rice pudding recipe that I would love to serve to him and it is full of coconut milk, so that is my motivation behind that trial. That's how I've been approaching new food trials lately: pick a recipe I want to serve him, then introduce one ingredient at a time. It gives me a goal and a purpose for each trial. When I can finally make the full recipe for him we have a little celebration. Otherwise I have a hard time choosing new foods.

    I wish we were close enough for a playdate too. We could disinfect the playground equipment together! lol (ok, I don't actually do that -- yet -- but I am seriously tempted to)

    ReplyDelete